Friday, May 23, 2008

Random Song Generator Adventure

For those of you who know me exceptionally well, you already know what it is that I refer to here. Indulge me to explain to those who are not as familiar:

I know the lyrics to a really disgusting amount of songs from a wide variety of genres, eras and languages. I have no idea how many it actually is, I'm not sure there is any way of quantifying it.

The "Random Song Generator" is what we have lovingly dubbed my brain when it won't settle on just one song. My mind goes from song to song in free association mode and picks up some really incredibly random things.

Today, Random Song Generator started going, and I realized that a lot of these songs I hadn't heard in ages. I thought, "Why don't I own these things yet?" So I decided to start buying the ones I could find on I-tunes. I had to cut myself off after only 15 minutes because it was getting really expensive!

It all started with me thinking about Elle Greenwich. She wrote a lot of very popular songs back in the 60's and I played her in a musical in high school. Fun times.

It started with:
Da Doo Run Run

And here is what happened next:
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • The Kind of Boy You Can't Forget
  • Do Wah Diddy
  • I Wanna Love Him So Bad
  • River Deep, Mountain High
  • Can't Get Enough of Your Love
  • Daydream Believer
  • Respect
  • Just My Imagination
  • Black Magic Woman
  • Take It Easy
  • After Midnight
  • Tip Toe Through the Tulips
  • Poisoning Pigeons in the Park
  • Light My Fire
  • A Day In the Life
  • Hello, I Love You
  • I Don't Want to Live on the Moon
  • Spanish Caravan
  • Five O'Clock World
  • I Only Have Eyes For You
  • Walking My Baby Back Home
  • Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay
  • What a Wonderful World
  • Build Me Up Buttercup
  • Simply Irresistible
  • Furry Sings the Blues
  • See-Line Woman
  • I Want You to Want Me
  • From the Air
  • Then I Saw Her Face
  • Never Make A Pretty Woman Your Wife
  • It Depends On What You Pay
  • Spirits In the Material World
  • Limon y Sal
  • His Cheeseburger
  • Caraluna
  • She Cries Your Name
  • Super Mario Bros Theme Song
And that it where I am going to stop it for this evening. Obviously, I'm on some sort of Oldies kick today. Strange.

Super fun challenge!!! A batch of cookies to whoever can name the most recording artists to match those songs!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Apkiwa,

    Well, I knew many of them, but had to do a little research for the ones I couldn't remember. Here they are. So, when do I get my batch of cookies? How many dozen in a batch? :)

    Da Doo Run Run - Crystals
    And Then He Kissed Me - Crystals
    The Kind of Boy You Can't Forget - Rainbows
    Do Wah Diddy - Manfred Mann
    I Wanna Love Him So Bad - Jelly Beans
    River Deep, Mountain High - Tina Turner, Celine Dion
    Can't Get Enough of Your Love - Barry White
    Daydream Believer - Monkees
    Respect - Aretha Franklin
    Just My Imagination - Temptations, Cranberries
    Black Magic Woman - Santana
    Take it Easy - Eagles
    After Midnight - Eric Clapton
    Tip Toe - Tiny Tim
    Poisoning Pigeons - Tom Lehrer
    Light My Fire - Doors
    A Day in the Life - Beatles
    Hello, I Love You - Doors
    I Don't Want to Live on the Moon - Neville Brothers, Sesame Street
    Spanish Caravan - Doors
    Five O'Clock World - The Vogues
    I Only Have Eyes for You - Peggy Lee, The Flamingos
    Walkin' My Baby Back Home - Nat "King" Cole, Nick Lucas
    Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
    What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
    Build Me Up Buttercup - Foundations
    Simply Irresistable - Rober Palmer
    Furry Sings the Blues - Joni Mitchell
    See-Line Woman - Nina Simone
    I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
    From the Air - Laurie Anderson
    Then I Saw Her Face - Monkees
    Never Make a Pretty Woman Your Wife - Jimmy Soul
    It Depends on What You Pay - The Fantasticks
    Spirits in the Material World - The Police
    Limon y Sal - Julieta Venegas
    His Cheeseburger - Veggie Tales
    Caraluna - Bacilos
    She Cries Your Name - Beth Orton
    Super Mario Bros Theme Song - Tesla Coils

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have known you'd go for this one, Goro. Everyone. . . here is a man who LOVES his cookies. lol. I didn't figure anyone would take the time to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Phoeey! Silly Old Dad was gonna look 'em all up and ask for delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can still make you some cookies, Dad. :)

    ReplyDelete